Friday 10 May 2013

Film Preview: The East

After premiering at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year, The East was picked up for distribution as expected. The trailer looks genuinely intriguing and I can put my dislike for Ellen Page to one side, I think the tone of the movie reminds me of Martha, Marcy, May Marlene which is why I have such high hopes for this film. Director Zal Batmanglij is reasonably knew to the scene having only directed Sound of my Voice in 2011 so it will be interesting to see what style he brings to this sort of movie, he also co-wrote the script with lead actress Brit Marling (Arbitrage).


Sarah Moss (Marling) is a an FBI agent who is asked to infiltrate a group of anarchists calling themselves The East. They carryout covert attacks on major corporations who are seen to be profiteering and acting irresponsibly, Moss meets the group but has her conscience questioned as she starts to agree with the groups philosophy whilst falling in love with the groups leader Benji (Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd).

The East is released in the UK on the 28th June 2013 and the trailer is embedded below:


No comments:

Post a Comment